Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book: A Wounded Name

Since falling in love with the book Falling For Hamlet I have wanted to read more books like it. So when I saw this I thought it was worth the try. I mean the cover is just to die for. How could you not be interested with that?
First off this book is very different from Falling For Hamlet. From page one this book had a much darker tone.  And the writing was beautiful and pulled me right in.  I did have a hard time with how dark the book was and though it says modern times I did feel that there was a really old fashion feel to the writing and story. Not that I minded but I could not help but feel like the characters were older and from a different time just living here in our world. I know that is what the writer was going for and it worked but at times the book just lost the modern feel. And I really wanted to keep that there because I feel that setting and time are one of the most interesting parts of any story.
At times this story was very slow going. It worked because the writing I felt made up for it over all. But this is not a book that people who do not love to read will get through. It's not going to pull them in and hold them the way a story with more action or thrill will. Plus this book is very sad and has a real broken feel to it.  The book does at times feel like it is dragging on a bit.
This book did draw me in because I found reading about hamlets unraveling mind so interesting. I think that is one of the things that has made the story of Hamlet so special and why people can't get enough of it.That and the love story. This book does a great job with those two points.
Over all this book was much darker take on Hamlet than Falling For Hamlet was. Though this was very good and had lots of great points I felt Falling for hamlet was the better read and that more people will like it. It reaches a wider group of readers.

( YA - 14 and up)
Stars: * * * 3. 4




I was given a copy of the book by the publisher. This did not in anyway effect my review or thoughts on the book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I will be sure to write back as soon as I can so try to check back. and feel free to ask to me any questions you have :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails