Monday, May 27, 2013

Book:Bitterblue

As some of you may know I have a love hate thing going on with these books. and out of both love and hate I wanted to read this one. I was full of hope that maybe in this all the little bumps from the first two would be gone and all of the good points played up. Well with this book I have to say I neither hate it or love it. The book has many good points that i would like to talk about first. I like how since the book is about Bitterblue its also about her as Queen. And what that is like. Many might not like how much of the law and problems Bitterblue ( the book) covers. But I my self liked it a lot. because it does not tell us what is the right thing to do but slowly lets us think it over and weigh in the choices the same way that bitterblue does. which is very good storytellership by Cashore. I also liked how it showed us life for Po. Which is something that left me a little lost at the end of Graceling. I will not going saying what but if you read the book you know what I mean. Also I felt that Bitterblue was someone that I could see eye to eye with. Unlike Fire or Katsa she was human living in this strange world. She seemed very grounded and I like how her story was not as much of a love story as the other two. She kept her head on pretty straight and did her best to put her people before her heart for the most part, which I liked.And  I felt a closeness to her that I did not feel with the others- not to say I did not like them I did. I thought that Fire was a great girl and liked many points to her as a person. But a lot of the feelings that Bitterblue had were normal.Feelings that  most teenagers have had at some point. tht feeling of being lost in life and unsure what to do next. Though not because of being Queen and having one of the worlds creepest fathers. But teens feel it none the less. I did however have a very hard time keeping the storyline straight in this book. it was a little all over the place. I felt that maybe more could have been done to tighten it all up. either that or write another to finish most of what this had started. Not that I want to read another because that means that all these poor people have to have their lives thrown up in the air all over again.
Now on to the stuff I did not like. Lets start with the things that I have said from day one. The killing and the rape. I know its out there but this book is very unhappy and at times rather sick. I think that after many of the things we see in the news it would be nice to have it lightened up. and for it not to in someway make what Leck did look cool. I know that Cashore did not want it to seem this way but some how the way he could get people to do evil and so on makes him look cool. And it makes me sick. its sad that its this way.


( YA- 15 and up. This is a hard read for people how are sensitive to rape,abuse both human and animal and also murder)

Stars:* * * 3.2



1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I was really let down by this book. I was hoping for so much more.
    But the cover looks really cool on your blog since they are the same colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I will be sure to write back as soon as I can so try to check back. and feel free to ask to me any questions you have :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails