Thursday, October 03, 2013

Book: The Boy On The Bridge

This book got my interest because of the cold war russia setting. And I'm happy to say that as far as the setting went it was a very good book. I have never been to russia and was not around during the cold war but I felt that the book gave me a very realistic and truthful point of view on the time.  I was shocked at how though the book was in third person it felt like it was in first person which was really nice.  Laura I felt could have been more interesting she was a lacking that something that makes her stand out from the other characters in the book and in YA over all. At times the things she did were very.... for lack of a better word stupid. I felt like she could have been a little smarter at times. And it bothered me that when she was weighing why she loved Alyosha the only things that she could think of was how he looked. That really bothered me and made it hard for me to like Laura or the love story.
As for the love story of the book I had a love/hate thing going with it. It did but it didn't work for me. At some points it felt a little weird and it didn't make sense always.
 But I did love reading about the differences about between the americans and the russians. But most of all seeing were there were little to  no differences. But I did like the ending and how things were left.
Over all it was really good. I think  it is one that many of my readers will like more than me. Natalie Standiford's makes the ups and downs of the book feel so heartfelt and real that at times I had to to put the book down and breath for a moment.  Despite the fact that there are many pros and cons to the book.

( YA - 14 and up )
Stars: * * * 3.2

I was given a copy of the book by the publisher. This did not in anyway effect my review or thoughts on the book

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I will be sure to write back as soon as I can so try to check back. and feel free to ask to me any questions you have :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails