Sunday, December 22, 2013

Book: Kingdom Of Little Wounds

 I'm sure that you can see why I could not wait to read this book. This cover is by far one of my favorites of 2013.
This book started off a little rough for me. I was not sure of what was going on or the writing style. Though beautiful my reviewers copy had many errors with front and format. Something that I hope they have since fixed.   The writing of the book is at times beautiful. I was very happy with that. The story matched the writing. And the characters add a very colorful layer to the book. Making it a very strong read.  The historical side to the book was cream of the crop. I was very happy with it and even felt like I learned many things from the book, such as basic facts about the time and also a great understanding of what living in that time might have been like. It was not one of those historical books were I sat around thinking " oh that's not right. Or oh that is no way true". So rather or not the book was truly right on the mark historically it felt that way to me.
 The one area I was rather let down in was the fact that I felt the book was really YA. I felt that it might have been better off under new Adult or just adult. Sure YA readers might like it better than some adult readers do but truly the topic and many of the events of the book are very mature.  And for me that was something that really had me let down. While this does not take away from the story,writing or over all plot of the book it did take a lot out of the enjoyment for me.  When I see YA on a book as both reader and blogger I plan on getting a YA book. Getting something that is very clearly not YA bothers me greatly. I found that while 16 years could read this it was really a book that 17 and up might enjoy better.  I feel that on the book it should say 18 and up because really that's what it felt like to me the read the book was written for.
Now as a blogger this bothered me greatly because I felt that is was just another case of saying the book was YA so as to sell more copies of the book. Because publishers see that there is a lot of money to be made in YA. There is only money to be made in YA if the book is truly YA.
Over all I did like the book many of its points.

( New Adult/ Adult - 18 and up)
Stars:   * * *  3.6           LEVEL: NOT YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I will be sure to write back as soon as I can so try to check back. and feel free to ask to me any questions you have :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails